St. Raphael’s Church, now known as St. Theresa’s Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church of Sagar (Saugor). The missionary presence began in the late 1850s. The first recorded baptism in Sagar (Saugor) was on January 1, 1863. The foundation stone of St. Raphael’s Church was laid by Rev. Fr. Raffaele Mecchi da Livorno OFM. Cap. on December 13, 1874. The church was consecrated by Rt. Rev. Dr. Francesco Pesci OFM. Cap., the first Bishop of Allahabad, on October 24, 1890. When the new exarchate was entrusted to the Syro-Malabar Church July 29, 1968, it became the official church of the Exarchate. It was formally raised into the status of Cathedral on February 26,1977, when the Exarchate was raised into the status of a diocese. The Catholic population is spread around an area of 6 to 8 kilometer circumference. The congregation consists of local Catholics and military personnel. Now there are about 120 families. St. Raphael’s Church stands for witnessing Jesus Christ through simple life style and serving the downtrodden needy people of the locality. The cathedral was renamed after the Diocesan Patroness, St. Theresa of Child Jesus on October 1, 2010.
The following are the main activities of the Cathedral Parish:
1. Pastoral Care of the Faithful.
2. Regular Family prayer meetings.
3. Catechism and Faith Formation of Children.
4. Regular Village visits & Animation Programme.
5. Special care to the Dropout Children
Contact DetailsRev. Fr. Vicar
St. Theresa’s Cathedral Church P.B. No. 32, Sagar Cantt., Sagar
M.P. – 470 001
Tel: 07582 – 223783