Who We Are
Missionary presence in Sagar diocese began in the late 1850s with the arrival of Rev. Fr. Raffaele Mecchi da Livorno OFM Cap., an Italian priest. The diocese of Sagar was erected as an Apostolic Exarchate by the bull ‘Quo Aptius’ dated July 29, 1968, cutting out from the Archdiocese of Bhopal the civil districts of Sagar, Raisen and Vidisha. Again at the request of the Bishop of Ajmer-Jaipur, the district of Guna was added to the Exarchate of Sagar by the decree of ‘De Bono Animarum’ on 2nd April, 1973. The civil district of Guna was further bifurcated on August 15, 2003 to form the district of Ashoknagar. At present, diocese of Sagar consists of five civil districts in Madhya Pradesh, namely Sagar, Raisen, Vidisha, Guna and Ashoknagar. The Holy See by its decree ‘Divina Verba’ on 26th February 1977 raised the Apostolic Exacrchate to the Status of a proper diocese. Rt. Rev. Bishop. Clemens Thottungal CMI was the first bishop of the diocese. Rt. Rev. Bishop. Joseph Pastor Neelankavil CMI succeeded him as second bishop of the diocese. After his retirement in the year 2006, Rt. Rev. Bishop Anthony Chirayath is the Bishop of the diocese.
The diocese has a unique position in the map of India, it occupies a central position in the country of India. The diocese is spread around the area of 39029 sq.Kms over in five administrative civil districts of Madhya Pradesh namely Sagar, Vidhisha, Guna, Ashoknagar, and Raisen.
Bishop Anthony Chirayath was born on July 30, 1941 at Aranattukara in the Archdiocese of Trichur. His parents were Mathew and Anna. He was the fifth of six children. On August 5, 1941 he was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Aranattukara. As a young boy he was active in the parish activities... Read more
The diocesan curia consists of those institutions and persons which assist the bishop in the governance of the whole diocese, especially in guiding pastoral action... Read more
The parish is where the Church lives. Parishes are communities of faith, of action, and of hope. They are where the gospel is proclaimed and celebrated, where believers are formed and sent to renew the earth. Parishes are the home of the Christian community; they are the heart of our Church. Parishes are the place where God's people meet Jesus in word and sacrament and come in touch with the source of the Church's life.
Search Parishes/Mission Stations
The history of the eparchy of Sagar starts from the Apostle St. Thomas. Bishop AD. Mattom quotes from an article in the Examiner of Bombay, Dec. 4. 1915. It reads: “In East Malwa-Bundelkand — on the boarders of Narmada, near Sagar, at Udaipur the first disciples of St. Thomas (Nadathagam Buddha) or the Apostle himself, built, according to tradition a temple to the Most High God, under the invocation of Bhagavadi Mary Reparatirix... Read more
"In Jesus, who suffered, died and rose from the dead so we might have life, we know that God is love—generous, merciful and forgiving. God's Spirit of love animates our lives, leading us to respond with joy, gratitude and loving service to others."
St. Raphael’s Church, now known as St. Theresa’s Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church of Sagar (Saugor). The missionary presence began in the late 1850s. The first recorded baptism in Sagar (Saugor) was on January 1, 1863. The foundation stone of St. Raphael’s Church was laid by Rev. Fr. Raffaele Mecchi da Livorno OFM. Cap. on December 13, 1874.... Read more
Diocesan Mission Statement
As individuals, families and parishes, our mission as the Catholic Diocese of Sagar is to respond joyfully to Christ’s call to become more fully the People of God...Read more